Monday, March 11, 2013

Two Years On

Two years have now passed since the 2011 tsunami and earthquake disaster in northeastern Japan. While there has been progress in the recovery, there is still a long way to go. People evacuated from the region are still scattered around Japan. Communities are a shadow of what they'd once been. Forests are devastated. Houses demolished. Priceless treasures and cultural landmarks, the topic on which I'd initially started this blog, washed away or burned. The wounds will take a long while yet to heal.

Though I was far away, this disaster affected me, as well. The places I'd known for years, the places I never imagined would become household names, were suddenly on the lips of everyone around me-- and in a negative way. In my shock and deep sadness, progress on my master's thesis was delayed, but not derailed. I finished on time, and am carrying on with my research, and my studies. I will continue doing what I can here, to bring little facets of Tohoku history and culture, and broader Japanese history and culture, to the English speaking world on the internet.

Stay tuned, folks. And keep donating and supporting however possible...this isn't over.

No comments:

Post a Comment